Monday, September 15, 2008

Entitlement

If they are able to accomplish anything working with congress, I pray that President McCain and VP Palin will start the process to eliminate the entitlement mentality that welfare has developed in the past 50 or 60 years in this country. We all know what it is, we all know why it has happened but no one wants to address the cancer that it is. We have an entire class not only black who feel that the government owes them survival. It was put front and center during Katria when thousands sit on their butts an waited for someone to come get them when the whole world knew a monster storm was coming. Yes their local politicans did the same, they sat and wait for Uncle Sam to come bail their butts as as well. Listen it is not someone elses responsibility to take care of folks who are able bodied. Yes there are some who are entitled but I can bet you that 50% ot those who are getting it today are not.

Want to know why all the Mexicans come to the US to work... Because we are paying about 5-8 million to not work. Want to reduce unemployment ... redefine welfare, close the borders to the South and we will save a ton of money and put a few million to work doing what they used to do before welfare exploded. Yes, not everyone can earn 90,000 a year, yes someone has to do the dirty work, and yes there will alway be lower income, middle income and upper income earners.

That is the facts of life... Has been since BC and I do not see it changing. I fear that more will join the lower income if government is not revamped.


This letter from a nurse down in LA says it pretty well. I can tell you that we had people volunteer to go down during Katria to help all those folks in need. You can bet that not too many of them went back down this time or even thought about going back. They experienced the same thing this nurse faced.

Take a read and then make sure you let your congress person know that it is time for change.
It is not just about FEMA the cause is welfare programs that send money to people who are too lazy to work. But it is not their fault it is the governments fault for setting the programs up wrong. It is really bad at a lot of levels.

We have a Crisis Center here in my little town. It is setup for people who need food for a day or two, for those really down and out. I support it and stop by often to talk to the workers. What I see really erks me off. I see some minority folks who on a regular work the system. They drive up in very nice cars, 3 - 4 together and then do not all come in together but come in one at a time, it is almost funny to watch them change their walk and demenar when they approach the
C Center. Milk the system is what I call it. What can I get for nothing, why not "they" ( who ever 'they" are) send me a check, pay my housing, give me food stamps, take care of my health care so why not go ... get free food " they " have it there. Heck, I am entitled to it. You see it any where you go and free stuff is being given out. Yes, it is mostly Black families, it it built into them by the system.

The sad part, there is an entire network that relies on this setup. From Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton both who are REV of something. Neither have churches but both live real good off of the prejudice they keep alive in the Black community. Ever notice how they only surface when they can gain attention to themselves and as soon as the media fade they fade. Sad but the welfare system feeds off its self and thousands of people live off the ills of it.

Anyway off my soap box and please read the attached letter from a someone who tried to help others and saw the other side of the fence...

Before everyone thinks I am a terrible, prejudiced, horrible person, just wanted to send a copy of the letter I s ent to the Times editors and Bill O'Reilly.

Please pray that Hurricane Ike will NOT come to Louisiana - I don't think I have the attitude of Christ yet!Sherri Dear Editor,I am a nurse who has just completed volunteer working approximately 120 hours as the clinic director in a Hurricane Gustav evacuation shelter in Shreveport, Louisiana over the last 7 days.

I would love to see someone look at the evacuee situation from a new perspective. Local and national news channels have covered the evacuation and 'horrible' conditions the evacuees had to endure during Hurricane Gustav.

True - some things were not optimal for the evacuation and the shelters need some modification. At any point, does anyone a ddress the responsibility (or irresponsibility) of the evacuees? Does it seem wrong that one would remember their cell phone, charger, cigarettes and lighter but forget their child's insulin?

Is something amiss when an evacuee gets off the bus, walks immediately to the medical area, and requests immediate free refills on all medicines for which they cannot provide a prescription or current bottle (most of which are narcotics)?

Isn't the system flawed when an evacuee says they cannot afford a $3 copay for a refill that will be delivered to them in the shelter yet they can take a city-provided bus to Wal-mart, buy 5 bottles of Vodka, and return to consume them secretly in the shelter?

Is it fair to stop performing luggage checks on incoming evacuees so as not to delay the registration process but endanger the volunteer staff and other persons with the very realistic truth of drugs, alcohol and weapons being brought into the shelter?

Am I less than compassionate when it frustrates me to scrub emesis from the floor near a nauseated child while his mother lies nearby, watching me work 26 hours straight, not even raising her head from the pillow to comfort her own son?

Why does it insense me to hear a man say 'I ain't goin' home 'til I get my FEMA check' when I would love to just go home and see my daughters who I have only seen 3 times this week?

Is the system flawed when the privately insured patient must find a way to get to the pharmacy, fill his prescription and pay his copay while the FEMA declaration allows the uninsured person to acquire free medications under the disaster rules?

Does it seem odd that the nurse volunteering at the shelter is paying for childcare while the evacuee sits on a cot during the day as the shelter provides a 'daycare'?

Have government e ntitlements created this mentality and am I facilitating it with my work?

Will I be a bad person, merciless nurse or poor Christian if I hesitate to work at the next shelter because I have worked for 7 days being called every curse word imaginable, feeling threatened and fearing for my personal safety in the shelter?

Exhausted and battered,

Sherri Hagerhjelm, RN

No comments: